Sunday, October 23, 2011

Cheese Dips

Garlic & Parsley

Before this post goes to far, I must confess that I have done one experimented with making Boursin again and not posted the results. I had roughly the same result as last time; the only improvement being the texture and flavor were a little better, primarily because I finally used cultured buttermilk.

With the fall season upon us and Halloween approaching my wife and I got the itch to experiment with a discovery from last fall, Pumpkin Butter. I will have to get my wife to post the recipe. It's good, and last year we made a really fun treat with it by simply adding cream cheese to make it creamier. We decided for our Halloween/Fall party it would be fun to add our Neufchatel instead of store bought cream cheese.

I got curious on what the difference between neufchatel (I also learned it is called farmers cheese) and normal cream cheese was, so I did some research. It appears that cream cheese, surprise, has more cream added to it. I decided to try adding some cream to the neufchatel recipe to see what kind of a difference it would make, the result was pleasing.

Ingredients:
Milk:
  • Quantity: 1/2 Gallon 
  • Brand: Kirtland Whole Milk 
  • Notes: It says it's pasteurized, I don't know if it was ultra pasteurized. Grade A, Homogenized. 
Buttermilk:
  • Quantity: 1/8 cup - 1/4 cup or more 
  • Brand: Meijer (Regional Store) generic. 
  • Other attributes: Cultured, Lowfat (1%), Grade A 
Whipping Cream(You should probably use heavy cream):
  • Quantity: 1/2 cup 
  • Brand: Dean's: Since 1925 
  • Other Attributes: Grade A, Ultra-Pasteurized
Other Ingredients:
  • 1/8 tsp. (4-6 drops) Organic Vegetable Rennet. Double Strength Plus, Gluten Free, Non-GMO 
  • 1/8 C. water 
  • 1/2 tsp. salt 
  • 2/3 c. pumpkin butter (added to pumpkin butter batch) 
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder (added to garlic batch) 
  • 1/2 tsp. dried parsley (Added to garlic batch) 
Steps & Notes:
  1. Buttermilk: Using cultured buttermilk has proven to make a huge difference. In the past I tried substituting it for milk + lemon juice and it just didn't work. 
  2. Mix Buttermilk w/ Milk: I wasn't very strict on my measurements this time around. I started with 1/8th of a cup of buttermilk, but I added another 1-8 to 1/4 Cup. I don't remember the exact amount because I was just eyeballing it. 
  3. Mixed in Cream: All the recipes I read said to use heavy cream. All we had in the fridge was whipping cream. I decided to try it out, just to see what happened. I kind of just winged the measurement. I don't remember the exact measurement, but it was 1/4-1/2 cup of whipping cream. 
  4. Warm milk: Warmed milk to 65° F 
  5. Add Rennet: I added 1/8 tsp. of rennet (Which was pre-mixed into 1/8c. of cold water). 
  6. Let Sit: I let it sit for about 20 hours covered and mostly undisturbed at room temperature (I can't really confirm that because it was on the stove and my wife did do a lot of cooking while I was at work). 
  7. Cut Curd: I thought because I let it sit for so long the curd would be nice and firm. It wasn't. It was very delicate and didn't keep it's form at all. I was able to cut it into 1/2 inch curds, but I couldn't ladle them out without them disintegrating. 
  8. Strain/Drain Whey: I poured the whole pot into a handkerchief and and let it strain for about 2 days. I probably should have left it another day because I wasn't able to get rid of a lot of the whey before putting it in the cheese cloth it was still very moist. My wife liked the consistency that resulted though. I believe this is where the difference between the final product being spreadable vs. dip-able was made. 
  9. Add Salt: I added about 1/2 tsp. of salt into the cheese 
  10. Mixed in flavoring: As I mentioned at this point I have been splitting the cheese into different container and trying different flavoring. 
    • In the first container I added some of my wife's pumpkin butter to one. The end result was a sweet, creamy dip with a slight pumpkin spice flavor. A surprisingly good dip for pretzels and I would imagine good on toast. 
    • In the second container I went the boursin route with garlic powder, a little more salt, and dried parsley. I still got the garlic a little strong, but still tasted good. It was a great pretzel/chip dip. 
    • With the leftover I just left it plain. 
Results:
  • Taste: Good. The garlic batch was still slightly too garlic-y, but overall people liked the flavor. The Pumpkin was excellent. 
  • Texture: It was a very smooth and consistent texture. Smooth and creamy like a vegetable dip, but a bit thicker. It reminded me of some cheese I used in Brazil called, requeijão. The pumpkin butter batch was a little more liquid because the pumpkin butter diluted the thick creamy texture a bit. 
  • I would give it an overall rating of about 5 stars. 
Pumpkin Butter
Possible Improvements:
  • Use less garlic. 
  • Work out the exact measurement of cream, buttermilk. 
  • Figure out how to get a more solid curd.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment