Sunday, July 17, 2011

Neufchatel

A little more spreadable and creamy, but still too salty
After my attempt at making Boursin I decided to start at square one, which was to get a comfortable with neufchatel. I took another stab at it this weekend with some better results.


Ingredients:
Milk:

  • Quantity: 1/2 Gallon
  • Brand: Cub 2% Reduced Fat Milk.
  • Notes: It says it's pasteurized, I don't know if it was ultra pasteurized. Grade A, Homogenized.
Other Ingredients:
  • 1/8 tsp. Organic Vegetable Rennet. Double Strength Plus, Gluten Free, Non-GMO 
  • 1/8 C. milk
  • 1/8  Tbsp. of lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
Steps & Notes:
  1. Buttermilk: I still don't have buttermilk so, again, I mixed 1/8 Tbsp of lemon juice with 1/8 C. of milk. This seemed to be the general substitute for buttermilk I could find on the internet.
  2. Mix Buttermilk w/ Milk: I added the 1/8c. of 'Buttermilk' to the 1/2 Gal. of milk
  3. Warm milk: Warmed milk to 65° F 
  4. Add Rennet: I added 1/8 tsp. of rennet (Which was pre-mixed into 1/8c. of cold water).
  5. Let Sit: I let it sit for 12 hours covered and undisturbed at room temperature. The curd was a little harder this time around, but still seemed a little soft. I don't know if having real cultured buttermilk will make the difference on this one or not.
  6. Cut Curd: into 1/2 inch curds.
  7. Strained Curd: I put the curd in a handkerchief and and let it strain overnight, because the curd still wasn't very hard, the whey was hard to separate out and it still seemed pretty moist. 
  8. Add Salt: I added about 1/2 tsp. of salt into the cheese
  9. Whipped cheese: The cheese still seemed a little curd-y and not very smooth, so I decided to experiment and whip it up a little to see if it smoothed out.
  10. Let dry some more: I let it hang in the fridge a few more hours to get a little more of the whey out.
Results:
  • Taste: Salty still. 1/2 tsp. was still a little too much for the 1/2 Gal. recipe. 
  • Texture: It is a little more smooth and spreadable like a cream cheese.
  • Overall the flavor and texture reminds me more of a fine curd cottage cheese. I think that's because I'm not using buttermilk. I read a few cottage cheese recipes where they use lemon juice to acidify the milk, but I haven't seen that in an neufchatel recipes.
  • My wife likes it, except for how salty it is, so that is a good sign.
  • I would give it an overall rating of about 3.5 stars. 
    Possible Improvements:
    • Use less salt.
    • Use real cultured buttermilk. I think you might really need the buttermilk cultures, not just the acidity, so a imitation like adding lemon juice to milk doesn't help you much.
    • I also had the idea of using the steamer pot that has a strainer that fits nicely into a majority of the pot. I can cut the curd, then lift the curd out and let the whey drain off more easily than trying to scoop out the already delicate curds.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment