Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Ultimate Mozzarella Failure: Can't rush a good Cheese

This failure was worse than the last failure. Both were
grainy, but this time I ended up working with it until
is completely disintegrated in my hands.
Don't have to add much more to this post. My wife asked me to make some mozzarella for a pasta salad she she made for the same picnic for which I was attempting to make Boursin.

I tried making it very quickly while at the same time making the Boursin; possibly another reason the boursin didn't work out. I was trying to finish the mozzarella as my wife and son were walking out the door.

A few of the things that I think went wrong:

  1. I didn't steralize the pot. (We don't have a lot of pots and pans right now, so I reuse the same pot everytime I make cheese)
  2. The milk was too hot when I added the rennet. I don't really know what effect this has on the cheese making processes, but the milk was quite a bit warmer than it should have been and didn't take the time to let it cool.
  3. Didn't let the the curd setup as long as I usually do, which I think was the ultimate demise of the cheese.
  4. Didn't get enough whey out before I tried to knead and pull the mozzarella.
The end result was a grainy curd, that wouldn't hold together. When I strained it the curd started to break up. I tried heating it in the microwave to no avail. As I pulled the cheese it wouldn't start streeching, instead it got grainier and started to disintegrate. As the ball got smaller and smaller I couldn't help feeling frustrated and in the end I washed it all down the sink so I could catch up with my wife, who at this point was already down the hall on her way out.

The lesson learned, don't try and rush a good cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment